[OpenAFS] Re: Bos server troubles with Suse 9.0

ted creedon tcreedon@easystreet.com
Mon, 24 Jan 2005 16:34:10 -0800

Ch4 in the admin guide pg 143 clearly warns about the now nonexistent leaks.
The default in BosConfig is every sun at 4AM.

% bos setrestart -server xxx -time never -cell yyy

Check in 25 days..

tedc

-----Original Message-----
From: openafs-info-admin@openafs.org [mailto:openafs-info-admin@openafs.org]
On Behalf Of Jeffrey Hutzelman
Sent: Monday, January 24, 2005 3:03 PM
To: Russ Allbery; openafs-info@openafs.org
Subject: Re: [OpenAFS] Re: Bos server troubles with Suse 9.0

On Monday, January 24, 2005 13:32:33 -0800 Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu>
wrote:

> ted creedon <tcreedon@easystreet.com> writes:
>
>> The restart was not set up intentionally. It was a default.
>
>> Somewhere in the documentation the subject was mentioned, so I
>> assumed it was purposeful.
>
> Yeah, it's been part of the Transarc installation instructions from
> time immemorial, or at least longer than I've been running AFS.  I've
> always disagreed with it.  There's no need to restart AFS services
> regularly; it just incurs unnecessary downtime while the file servers
reattach volumes.
> We never restart any of the daemons except for the kaserver (and there
> only to rotate logs, since we crank the logging way up from the
> default), and have been running that way for at least a decade without
> any difficulties.
>
> We do have file servers crash every once in a while, maybe one every
> six months or so, but it's not clear to me that restarts would do
> anything to prevent that.  I've never noticed anything like memory leaks.

We actually did notice memory leaks in the fileserver, a very long time ago.
We happened to run AFS on a particularly bizarre platform which was capable
of dynamically increasing the size of its swap file to accomodate increased
demands on memory.  The only problem was, it did not cope gracefully when
there was no disk space to do so -- instead, the system would panic.  So we
had to monitor the sizes of the swapfiles and schedule reboots of fileserver
machines when they were getting close to running out of disk space into
which to grow the swapfile.  This worked out to be about once a month, on
irregular schedules.  Of course, that was a long time ago.
We no longer run fileservers (or anything else) on Mach, and we've never
done regular fileserver restarts.

-- Jeff