[OpenAFS] New release of mvto

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Tue, 25 Jan 2005 15:52:11 -0800

Hello folks,

I've just released a new version of mvto, the intelligent volume migration
tool that we use at Stanford.  This release adds the following new
features:

 o mvto now checks the available space on the destination partition for a
   volume move or new replica and declines to perform the action if it
   would cause the space used percentage for that volume to exceed a user
   customizable threshold (90% by default).

 o In addition to taking a list of volumes in a file and putting them all
   in a location specified on the command line, mvto can now take a list
   of volumes and their destination locations in a file and put them where
   indicated.  This should make it easy to use with any other piece of
   software that generates a list of necessary volume moves.

 o The limitation preventing mvto from moving unreplicated volumes from
   one partition to another on the same server has been removed.

mvto is the script that we use for all AFS volume moves.  Its primary
feature, and its initial reason for existance, is that it parses vos
examine output to figure out where the volume currently is, rather than
requiring you to specify that.  It also understands replicated volumes and
knows how to move them properly, including whatever combination of vos
addsite, vos remove, and vos release is required to make the replication
sites look the way that you desire.  It has a few other features and
safety checks as well; see the documentation.

You can get a copy from:

    <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/software/mvto/>

AFS administrators may also be interested in the other AFS tools and
utilities that I maintain, listed at:

    <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/software/>

in the AFS section.