[OpenAFS] AFS access rights determination

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
Wed, 26 Jan 2005 10:02:33 -0500

Priyank Porwal <porwal@cs.unc.edu> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Is there a way in AFS I can find out what permissions a user has on a
> particular directory? 'fs listacl' gives only the explicit rights gives
> to a particular user (or group), but not the rights derived from group
> memberships. There's an access() function in UNIX to check access to
> file or pathnames but it works only for R, W and X modes. Is there any
> similar interface for AFS?

Actually, the access() system call, when used in an AFS context,
*WILL* check the AFS ACL permissions.  This was fixed (in Linux at
least) before Linux 1.2 was released.  I know -- I supplied Linus with
the patches to fix it.

-derek