[OpenAFS] AFS, pam and uid?

Frank Burkhardt fbo2@gmx.net
Fri, 28 Jan 2005 17:42:30 +0100

Hi,

On Wed, Jan 26, 2005 at 02:58:09AM -0600, Matt Reynolds wrote:
> Using the available pam_afs documentation, I've set up an ftp server
> (vsftpd) on an AFS client machine to grab a token when a user
> authenticates though PAM. But, this seems to require a unix user on the
> client machine in addition to the AFS user. Is it possible to bypass this
> step and simply use pam_afs to pass the uid/gid info to vsftpd?

Maybe vsftpd just needs a nameservice providing a valid UID for
a given name. This can be done by any NSS-service (local /etc/passwd, NIS, LDAP, ...).
 wrote a NSS-module which resolves names/UIDs by using the AFS-PT-server.
It's for Debian but should work on any given linux distri.

This is the URL:

ftp://fbo.no-ip.org/debian-oth/sid/instantafs/libnss-ptdb/1.0.5-1+9sid/libnss-ptdb_1.0.5-1+9sid.tar.gz

Regards,

Frank