[OpenAFS] Avoiding NTFS and FAT

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
Fri, 28 Jan 2005 14:43:47 -0500

ajpearce <ajpearceuk@gmail.com> writes:

> I thought NTFS was in play because OpenAFS wouldn't let me use a ext3
> drive mounted using a IFS driver (ext2anywhere).
>
> "AFS's permissions model is neither that
> of Unix nor that of Windows NTFS.  (Under certain circumstances, that makes
> it the worst of both worlds...)"
>
> ^ so I see that AFS isn't the answer to serving UNIX compatible
> filesystems to my linux thinclient. In other words, I can't store all
> types of unix files on an OpenAFS volume. I couldn't, for example use
> OpenAFS to serve Linux ThinClients - re: ltsp.org ?

I dont understand this statement..  What exactly are you trying to
"serve" to your thinclients?  I don't understand what you mean by
"UNIX compatible filesystems".

Are you trying to serve a root filesystem?  Are you trying to serve
the /usr filesystem?  Are you trying to server applications and/or
homedirectory filesystems?  Any (but the first) is certainly possible
using AFS.  But it's still very unclear what you're trying to do and
what you mean by the buzzwords you're throwing around.

-derek