[OpenAFS] Avoiding NTFS and FAT

ajpearce ajpearce@ajpearce.co.uk
Fri, 28 Jan 2005 20:37:50 +0000

Some answers I was hoping for:

"Oh yeah, I heard about this guy who hacked together an NFS server
with a ext3 IFS, downloadable at foo.com"
"OpenAFS will do exactly what you want and easily" - nearly got this
"Download this alternative filesystem for Windows at foo.com"

I'm now checking out CODA to see if this can help me get away from NTFS:
http://www.coda.cs.cmu.edu/pub/coda/winnt/

Here are some limitations I read about the current OpenAFS on Windows
from Altman:
http://web.mit.edu/jaltman/Public/OpenAFS/Reports/AFSig.se-2004-Windows-One-Year-Later.pdf:

"Path names restricted to 256 characters"
"Share names restricted to 13 characters"
"8-bit code pages; no Unicode"
"AFS Server not reliable yet"
SMB Unicode probably middle 2005

Network IFS: both GNU IFS and Microsoft IFS licenses are not
compatible with OpenAFS.org license
But binaries from OSR FSF are redistributable but pricing issue. They
have made consessions for CODA before AFS.