[OpenAFS] Cache manager parameter questions

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Thu, 07 Jul 2005 09:48:15 -0700

Mike Polek <mike@pictage.com> writes:

> Silly question... how many simultaneous file transfers can a 64M
> memcache handle? And what parameters would affect that?

Just FYI, we tried throwing an extensive amount of load at the memory
cache for extended periods (using it on www.stanford.edu) and found that
disk cache was more reliable.  We'd periodically see odd problems with
memory cache (stale volumes, file servers marked incorrectly as down, that
sort of thing).  We didn't notice any real performance differences.

Of course, if the system is diskless, this doesn't really help.  :)

This was back in the mid 1.2 days, so it may be that subsequent changes
have made this information obsolete.