[OpenAFS] Issues with pts ?

Madhusudan Singh singh.madhusudan@gmail.com
Thu, 7 Jul 2005 15:21:24 -0400

Hi

I am trying to set up an openafs server / kerberos application server client
with Slackware Linux (kernel 2.4.29).

I was following the instructions at :

 http://grand.central.org/twiki/bin/view/AFSLore/InstallingtheFirstAFSMachine

and ran up against the following problem :

root@omega:/usr/afs/bin# ./pts createuser -name admin -cell omega.mit.edu
-noauth
./pts: server or network not responding ; unable to create user admin

I initially thought that my firewall was creating trouble. I cleared all the
rules and tried again :

root@omega:~# iptables -L
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
root@omega:~# cd /usr/afs/bin
root@omega:/usr/afs/bin# ./pts createuser -name admin -cell omega.mit.edu
-noauth
./pts: server or network not responding ; unable to create user admin

nmap -sU reports :

(The 1476 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: closed)
PORT    STATE         SERVICE
37/udp  open          time
512/udp open|filtered biff

I have not closed any ports, so what could be going on now ?

I then tried to adduser admin, with a uid of 1004, and retried the pts command
with the -id option :

root@omega:/usr/afs/bin# ./pts createuser -name admin -cell omega.mit.edu -id
1001 -noauth
./pts: server or network not responding ; unable to create user admin with id
1001

Any help would be welcome.