[OpenAFS] Can't Map AFS drive

Charles McIntyre mcintyre@ucsc.edu
Fri, 08 Jul 2005 07:45:06 -0700

Thanks.  I'll try that.

You had recommended the use of "afsshare" and=20
submounts the last time I had some issues, so that's why I'm using them.

I'm thinking our issues are related to some kind=20
of 3rd party software conflict, but I haven't=20
narrowed it down yet.  Do you know if it's a=20
problem when creating an image of a workstation=20
if you don't delete the MLA first?  Sysprep and=20
Ghost end up deleting/forgetting about it in the=20
process of creating an image, and we're curious=20
if that's causing a problem...

Charles

At 01:40 PM 7/6/2005, you wrote:
>Don't use submounts.  They are a very bad idea
>and will be gone in a future release.
>There is no purpose to them.   Simply use
>
>   NET USE X: \\AFS\cellname\path
>
>Jeffrey Altman
>
>Charles McIntyre wrote:
> > Folks-
> >
> > We're having some issues with AFS 1.2.10 and 1.3.84 on a XP SP2 lab
> > image.  We're using cross-realm Kerberos authentication to get the K5
> > tgt and KfW Leash32 to get the K4 tgt.   We use afsshare to map the
> > user's specific home directory to the "home" submount.  The OpenAFS tray
> > app shows the "X:\" drive mapped to their AFS home directory with a
> > checkmark next to it.  When the script runs "net use X: \\afs\home" the
> > workstation slows to a snails pace, even though no process shows high
> > utilization in Task Manager.  The drive never mounts and the machine
> > becomes unresponsive.
> >
> > Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?  More importantly,
> > what's not configured correctly and how do I remedy it?
> >
> > I read the afs-issues.txt file and there was mention of a "afsmap"
> > utility that I thought might help but it's not in the .exe or .msi
> > installer of 1.3.84.
> >
> > Thanks in advance!
> >
> > Charles
> >

> > =BA=B0`=B0=BA=A4=F8=A4=BA=B0`=B0=BA=A4=F8=F8=A4=BA=B0`=B0=BA=A4=F8=A4=BA=
=B0`=B0=BA=A4=F8=F8=A4=BA=B0`=B0=BA=A4

> > Charles McIntyre
> > PC/UNIX Systems Engineer
> > Instructional Computing
> > Information Technology Services, UCSC
> > ph: 831/459-5746
> > fx: 831/459-2914
> >
> > got a question? see http://ic.ucsc.edu/help

=BA=B0`=B0=BA=A4=F8=A4=BA=B0`=B0=BA=A4=F8=F8=A4=BA=B0`=B0=BA=A4=F8=A4=BA=B0`=
=B0=BA=A4=F8=F8=A4=BA=B0`=B0=BA=A4

got a question? see http://ic.ucsc.edu/help =20