[OpenAFS] OpenAFS Web page...

Marcus Watts mdw@umich.edu
Fri, 15 Jul 2005 02:25:13 -0400

Various wrote:

> > And, why is it that when I right-click to download the source
> > distribution "openafs-1.3.85-src.tar.bz2" the dialog saves the file as
> > "openafs-1.3.85-src.tar.tar" ???
>
> I don't know.  Perhaps your browser is trying to "protect" you by making
> sure a file whose content-type is application/x-tar always has an extension
> of ".tar".  It works fine for me.

My browser "helpfully" runs .tar.gz files through gunzip.  I suppose I
should be happy it doesn't untar and try to build things as well.  Even
so, since I usually want to save the unaltered original, I wind up using
something else, usually "wget", to fetch the file.

I still sometimes use Mosaic 2.7b5.  That one had a menu option, "Load
to Local Disk", which was another useful way to avoid gratuitous
uncompression.  This was more important when mosaic was closer to being
state of the art, and disk space was more dear.  Nowadays, there are
too many people who believe all browsers have frames, table support,
and javascript.

There are probably several hundred other ways to avoid the uncompression
problem, assuming that is, in fact, what's happening with Rodney.  He
hasn't said whether he got a compressed or uncoompressed tar image.  I
seem to recall that Windows had a "hide final extension" feature,
though on second thought I suppose that can't be it, I assume Rodney
would know if his browser liked doing this.

					-Marcus