[OpenAFS] OpenAFS Web page...

Michael Norwick mnorwick@centurytel.net
Sat, 16 Jul 2005 01:02:10 -0500

Derrick J Brashear wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Jul 2005, ted creedon wrote:
>
>> I think all of you missed Rodney's point.
>

> Still ok to be wrong in this country, which is fortunate for you I
> guess;-)
>
>> He makes his living supporting AFS
>> and the management only looks at the cover, not what's inside.
>

>> I'd suggest setting up an internal website using the IBM htm docs and
>> the
>> Latex based pdf's (they look better than IBM's).
>

> Which has nothing to do with release announcements, my poor copy
> skills being the crux of this parry, and which would do nothing to
> address it.
> It may be that we need a person who would be responsible for reading
> the copy and actually publishing it to the web site.
>
>> Finally, and no flaming responses please, at the old Tektronix you
>> had to
>> have a BS in English to be employed in the manuals department. They
>> realized
>> it took a different talent set to write manuals than to design products.
>

> And now we're on the real issue. You'll notice we don't have people
> falling over each other to write documentation or design web sites.
> They're all busy worrying about what the format of the content should be.
>
> Derrick

I offered my services as an editor/scribe to this list a while back, but
I need leadership and direction.  My systems have been built using the
IBM/Transarc
docs, the html at openafs.org and numerous .edu sites.  All have been
very helpful and the current docs took an AFS neophyte (me) to an
intermediate level
AFS sysadmin.  So I guess I consider them quality literature.  How much
spit and polish do you want?  Do we need more than latex, html, and pdf
?  What
information is dynamic besides the CHANGELOGS?  If you are looking for a
snappier web page, I'm sorry, my parents gave the artistic talent to my
little
brother so my input might be a liablility.

Michael