[OpenAFS] Compressed source code...

Rodney M Dyer rmdyer@uncc.edu
Sun, 17 Jul 2005 16:07:07 -0400

I made a couple of comments the other day about the web page, but that
thread had a life of its own and has now changed direction.  I thought it
would be better to start another one that is specific to my question.

In the original thread on the web page I commented that clicking on the
"openafs-1.3.85-src.tar.bz2" actually causes the IE browser to download it
as "openafs-1.3.85-src.tar.tar".  This is strange, but even more strange is
the fact that I can't do anything with the resulting file like I was able
to in the past.

In previous code releases we used to be able to download the file as
"openafs-1.3.85-src.tar.gz", which the IE browser would save as
"openafs-1.3.85-src.tar.tar".  I could then rename the "...tar.tar" to
"...tar.gz" and get the WinZip tool to uncompress it.  Now it seems I can't
get WinZip to do anything with the file at all.  Renaming the file to
"...tar.gz", or "...tar", or "tar.bz2", or no rename at all and WinZip
throws an error.

I Google'd and found this http://filext.com/detaillist.php?extdetail=BZ2
about ".bz2".  WinZip doesn't understand this file type so it didn't
install a MIME Type info into Windows.  I suppose I can install WinRAR
personally, but our group doesn't own a license for it.

Did OpenAFS.org need to change the compress type from "gz" to "bz2" for
some reason?  I would rather see the most common compressed type that all
uncompressors can use.  Does OpenAFS.org need a license to use ZIP?

Rodney