[OpenAFS] Compressed source code...

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Sun, 17 Jul 2005 16:14:01 -0700

Jim Rees <rees@umich.edu> writes:

> Bzip2 isn't that much better than gzip, maybe 20%.  OpenBSD includes
> gzip but not bunzip2, I think due to licensing restrictions.

It's unlikely that's the reason, since it's basically a BSD license:

modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions
are met:

1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
   notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.

2. The origin of this software must not be misrepresented; you must
   not claim that you wrote the original software.  If you use this
   software in a product, an acknowledgment in the product
   documentation would be appreciated but is not required.

3. Altered source versions must be plainly marked as such, and must
   not be misrepresented as being the original software.

4. The name of the author may not be used to endorse or promote
   products derived from this software without specific prior written
   permission.