[OpenAFS] Compressed source code...

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Sun, 17 Jul 2005 19:16:06 -0700

Rodney M Dyer <rmdyer@uncc.edu> writes:

> As to the comment on "better" compression.  We're only saving about 2
> meg here.  Look at the 1.3.8400 release, where it was in "tar.gz" and
> "tar.bz2".  Is 2 meg really all that important in the scheme of things?
> It's just a little more than a floppy.  Is someone trying to download
> over 28.8 bps?

The intention is to provide both .bz2 and .gz, similar to most other open
source / free software projects these days.  Lack of a .gz version was
just an oversight in this release.

That being said, I do hope that WinZIP adds bzip2 compression, as I'm
starting to see some projects go to it exclusively and it is available
most places these days.  The code is under a fairly similar license to the
gzip license, so it should be easy to incorporate.