[OpenAFS] OpenAFS compiled for OpenSSI

Dan Pritts danno@internet2.edu
Mon, 18 Jul 2005 13:53:33 -0400

> I installed the openafs-1.2.13-rh9.0.1.src.rpm and that's the stuff we
> managed to compile.
>
> Now, since I am a rookie at doing this, what do I need to do to create
> those rpm's so that I can install the OpenAFS client "stuff" ?

It's not clear what you needed to change to get this to work with openssi.
was it just in the kernel module?

If so, the quick & dirty fix is to just install the existing
openafs-kernel rpm and then install your module manually - it should
correspond to a different kernel version than the openafs-kernel one so
there will be no conflict.

If you want to dive deep into the world of rpm, go to rpm.net and
look at maximum rpm.  also look at the 'hints and tricks' or 'tips
and tricks' section of that website.

for the summary of my knowledge of this you can look at:
  http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2005-June/007964.html
the way i suggest doing things is pretty kludgy - the right way is to
roll your own binary rpm.  I don't know all that's necessary to do that.

My belief, which may be incorrect, is the "right way" to roll a binary
is to go to all the fun of creating an RPM spec file that goes through
the entire build process and then rolls the RPM when it is done.
you might be able to hack what i've done for this, though.

danno
--
dan pritts - systems administrator - internet2
734/352-4953 office        734/834-7224 mobile