[OpenAFS] pre-fetch cache

Brian May bam@snoopy.apana.org.au
Tue, 19 Jul 2005 14:49:23 +1000

On Mon, Jul 18, 2005 at 11:17:07PM -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> > I have considered this might be possible by setting up a cron job,
> > perhaps with the help of reauth, that has read-only access to the
> > required files. This cron job could do something like "cat file >
> > /dev/null" for every file to force it to appear in the cache.
>
> Yep. :)

I think I forgot to consider one important factor: The client will be
Windows, not Linux/Unix.

Me thinks this probably has just turned a simple cron job into a
complicated mess, especially if you consider the user may not be logged
in overnight.

Oh well...

What would be nice is a special volume type that is a combination of the
cache and replicated read-only volumes.  If the master copy of any file
in this volume changes, then all replicated copies of this file are
deleted, and the next request is forwarded to the master server. Write
requests are forwarded to the master server. That way multiple clients
at one site can "share" the one cache copy.

No doubt there may be complications I haven't considered; and no, I am
not volunteering to implement it ;-).
--
Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au>