[OpenAFS] replication issues 1.3.85

Jacob Liff jacobl@ccbill.com
Sat, 23 Jul 2005 21:06:46 -0700

------_=_NextPart_001_01C59005.1B9D4487

Hello,

   Hrmm ok I though the way the cache manager worked was to always =
favored RO copies to begin with. So what you are saying is if I create =
the volume put the data into it then mount it with the .readonly =
extenstion this will solve the issue I am having?

I feel like I am still somehow missing a step here. Do I need to mount =
the volume readonly on each of the servers? I didnt/dont think its =
possible to have the same mountpoint name on more then one server. Feels =
like Im right there just mising the final step in all this =
documentation.

What I am needing to accomplish is a RO volume that will be accesible at =
all times even if one of the servers suddenly dies.

Thank you for the help,

Jacob L.

-----Original Message-----
From: openafs-info-admin@openafs.org on behalf of Jeffrey Altman
Sent: Fri 7/22/2005 4:48 PM
Cc: openafs-info@openafs.org
Subject: Re: [OpenAFS] replication issues 1.3.85
=20
Esther Filderman wrote:
> Since RW data is static, RO data is not used to "cover" for =
unavailable RW data.

Esther meant to say:

Since the data stored in a RW volume is volatile, a RO volume cannot be
used to provide automatic failover.  If a RO volume was used to as a
failover for a RW volume that suddenly became unavailable, you would
risk suffering data corruption.

Jeffrey Altman

------_=_NextPart_001_01C59005.1B9D4487

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
6.5.7226.0">
<TITLE>RE: [OpenAFS] replication issues 1.3.85</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<!-- Converted from text/plain format -->

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Hello,<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; Hrmm ok I though the way the cache manager worked was to =
always favored RO copies to begin with. So what you are saying is if I =
create the volume put the data into it then mount it with the .readonly =
extenstion this will solve the issue I am having?<BR>
<BR>
I feel like I am still somehow missing a step here. Do I need to mount =
the volume readonly on each of the servers? I didnt/dont think its =
possible to have the same mountpoint name on more then one server. Feels =
like Im right there just mising the final step in all this =
documentation.<BR>
<BR>
What I am needing to accomplish is a RO volume that will be accesible at =
all times even if one of the servers suddenly dies.<BR>
<BR>
Thank you for the help,<BR>
<BR>
Jacob L.<BR>