[OpenAFS] AFS suggestions

lamont@scriptkiddie.org lamont@scriptkiddie.org
Thu, 28 Jul 2005 15:14:33 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005, Horst Birthelmer wrote:
> Noora Peura did her masters thesis on that topic. (It was actually for arla,
> but I guess it could help anyway)
> Maybe your student already knows her work ... ;-)
>
> The report is at:
> http://www.stacken.kth.se/~noora/exjobb/files.html

interesting.  what i'd like to see is just read-one/write-all used in
conjunction with the existing ro-clones.  the problem with ro-clones is
that you can't be constantly releasing the rw volume to the ro volumes on
every write.  if you batch up writes you expose yourself to losing data
which has been written due to failure of a single fileserver.  to provide
acceptable (for my applications) data integrity, just write-all to 2 or 3
fileservers and on failure of any one of them, use one which didn't have
the write fail and replicate it to the ro-clones.  then create a new r/w
bucket and keep going.

for an append-only service writing into volumes the ro-clones are the
right model to store the data long-term -- but while the volume is r/w it
needs to still be more available than a single fileserver.