[OpenAFS] Unresolved symbols with Debian openafs module compilation

Sergio Gelato Sergio.Gelato@astro.su.se
Fri, 29 Jul 2005 16:05:03 +0200

* John Koyle [2005-07-28 16:10:59 -0600]:
> >Madhusudan Singh <singh.madhusudan@gmail.com> writes:
> >
> >>I am trying to compile openafs on Debian Sarge (kernel 2.4.27-1-386)
> >>using instructions at :
>
> Actually, just use module-assistant (apt-get install module-assistant).
> I just installed Sarge this morning and module assistant had me up and
> running quickly.

In this particular case (building openafs-modules against a Debian-supplied
kernel) I tend to agree that module-assistant does the job nicely.

Not so, in my experience, when building against a custom kernel:
then I've found that the openafs-modules packages built with module-assistant
("m-a -u workdir -k my-kernel-build-dir build openafs" as an ordinary user,
where I had previously run "make-kpkg kernel_image" in my-kernel-build-dir)
resulted in *every* AFS syscall issued by afsd returning -1. This was for
kernel 2.4.31 (with various non-AFS-related patches), OpenAFS 1.3.81-3sarge1
as well as a locally-packaged 1.3.85. Rebuilding openafs-modules from the
same openafs.tar.gz with "make-kpkg modules_image" resulted in a working
system.

Clearly there remain some poorly documented subtleties in the use of
module-assistant. (Am I the only one who insists on building his .deb's
as an unprivileged user?)