[OpenAFS] best way to recover after HD breakdown?

Frank Burkhardt fbo2@gmx.net
Wed, 8 Jun 2005 13:12:02 +0200

Hi,

On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 10:29:04AM +0200, Lars Schimmer wrote:

[snip]

> One big HD in our cell just breaked down.
> Now we've got some RO copies on 1.2.13 fileserver and some "non existent"
> volumes, which RW copy were on that HD and no RO were available.
> In 1.2.13 there was no way to convert RO to RW, right?

There is - but you need a patch. Have a look at

 ftp://instantafs.cbs.mpg.de/instantafs/common/openafs/1.2.13-1.1+rorw

You'll find patched 1.2.13-debian-packages there.

> If there is NO backup of that harddisk, only these RO, which is the best way to
> recover that data?

vos dump [...] | vos restore [...]

(See AFS-help for details)

> And: If there was no RO to the RW, whats the best way to make that link to a new
> volume?

You could remove the VLDB-entry of the destroyed RW-volume:

 vos delentry [volume]

and create a new volume with the same name:

 vos create ...

The clients won't recognise the difference because they only read the volume
names stored in your volume-mountpoints. It *might* be necessary to execute

 fs checkvolumes

on your AFS-clients to reread the Name/ID-Mapping of the destroyed volume
from VLDB.

Regards,

Frank