[OpenAFS] best way to recover after HD breakdown? - new problem

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Thu, 09 Jun 2005 12:51:20 -0400

On Thursday, June 09, 2005 11:14:14 AM +0200 Lars Schimmer
<schimmer@cg.cs.tu-bs.de> wrote:

> I made the vos dump on a machine with enough HD space out of AFS (to dump
> a 15gig volume you need some space). While restoring it just prints out
> some kind of "not a dump site" errors.

It's always best to actually copy and paste the commands and error messages
exactly as they appear, instead of summarizing or editing.  However, I'm
going to go out on a limb and guess that you're seeing this error:

       5377    U.1   UNOTSYNC
  not synchronization site (should work on sync site)

What this means is that you tried to make a request to change the contents
of some database (prdb or vldb), and sent the request to the wrong server.
Normally, this is handled within the library; it figures out the right
server and resends the request.  However, you will see this error if none
of the servers configured in your client's CellServDB is the sync site.
This can happen if your client's CellServDB is out of date and does not
include a list of all voting database servers.

   Sr. Research Systems Programmer