[OpenAFS] Idea: tree of volumes/mounts...

Horst Birthelmer horst@riback.net
Wed, 15 Jun 2005 14:57:50 +0200

On Jun 15, 2005, at 11:39 AM, Lars Schimmer wrote:

> Hi!
>
> It's me again...
> I've had a idea right before opening this window.
> We've had only one RW copy of some root nodes of our AFS cell tree,
> we thought
> it was not needed to backup them, it's easy to reproduce them if
> they went off.
> E.G.: /afs/cg.cs.tu-bs.de/cd is only once available as a RW and
> under CD are
> only other volumes, no more data.
> But the cd volume got lost and now we are a bit in doubt which
> volume was
> mounted under cd at all...
> So the idea:
>
> Is there a tool/script/idea which searches the volumes/vldb and
> prints out a
> tree of the cell with the names of the volumes behind?
> E.G.:
>
> cg.cs.tu-bs.de        -    root.cell
> |-cd            -    cd
> ||-game1        -    cd.game1
> ||-game2        -    cd.game2
> |-home            -    user
> ||-usera        -    user.usera
> ||-userb        -    user.userb
> |-dev            -    arbeit
> |-work            -    work
> ||-usera        -    work.usera

I think I know what you're trying to accomplish here ... but you
don't have this kind of information in the vldb.

What you end up doing here is not going through your vldb but going
through your afs tree and filling a database whith your mount points.
You will end up with  a list where every volume is mounted in the
tree if it is at all. From that on you can interpret that data
however you see fit. I think I saw something like that in the scripts
from Russ Allbery... maybe he can comment on this.

> and so on and so on.
> Made for a easy and quick overview over the cell.
> Because if you lost some of the root nodes, you are lost within the
> tree if you
> don  know it inside your brain where the mounts are located at...

 From my point of view, that's what backups are for ;-)