[OpenAFS] Slow Logins on RHEL 4

Jack Neely jjneely@pams.ncsu.edu
Thu, 16 Jun 2005 11:02:34 -0400

Folks,

I'm seeing slow logins on RHEL 4.  My current configuration is OpenAFS
1.3.84 and kernel version 2.6.9-11.ELsmp.  I also see the same problem
on earlier RHEL 4 kernels, non-smp machines, and earlier releases of
OpenAFS.

If I shutdown AFS (login scripts create users a temporary home
directory) then logins are quite quick.  With AFS they take a good 5 to
15 seconds.

I've checked my PAM configuration.  No slow downs there.  It auths me
and opens my session pretty quick.  Also don't have any problems getting
tokens.  I get the same slow performance with either memcache or
diskcache.  Console logins, GDM, SSH...all slow.

Any suggestions for locating the cause of this?

Thanks!
Jack Neely

--
Jack Neely <slack@quackmaster.net>
Realm Linux Administration and Development