[OpenAFS] Misconfigured Windows client hangs Linux server

Bob Hoffman hoffman@cs.pitt.edu
Thu, 16 Jun 2005 16:07:41 -0400

Last week we had a problem that hung a couple of our OpenAFS
servers.  The environment is this:

Server:  OpenAFS 1.2.13 running on Red Hat Enterprise 3.0

Client:  OpenAFS 1.3.8201 running on Windows XP SP2

The symptoms were that the server would stop serving AFS files
but that it remained otherwise responsive (ping, ssh, etc.).
Rxdebug reported:

108 calls waiting for a thread
2 threads are idle

Doing a "bos restart <server> fs" would get it going again for
a short time.

The problem was discovered to be a misconfiguration in the security
policy applied to the Windows systems.  They had "Microsoft network
client: Digitally sign communications (always)" turned on.  Disabling
this fixed the problem.

I can understand it not working if there is a packet-signing mismatch
but I don't think it should hang the server.

	Thanks,
	---Bob.