[OpenAFS] another problem with vos release

Ken Hornstein kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Fri, 17 Jun 2005 10:43:23 -0400

>>> I couldn't help noticing that you don't have a RO volume on the same
>>> machine as the RW copy.
>>>[...]
>> What I noticed in this situation  was , that "vos release" of a "large"
>> volume  took an incredible long time. "large" in this case meant ~100000
>> Files.  Having an ro on the same server reduced the time to a normal
>> value.  --

In a follow-up to this ... I was emailed privately by someone I used to
work with who told me that when _they_ didn't have a RO on the same
server as the RW volume, they had occasional problems accessing that
volume (the "slow release" was the major thing that I remembered when
we were in this situation).  They said adding the RO on the same machine
as the RW volume cleared up the problem immediately.  I dunno if there
was something else going on there, but anyway, it's worth doing.

--Ken