[OpenAFS] Recovering filenames from namei fileserver's /vicepa tree

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Sun, 26 Jun 2005 20:53:56 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005, Richard Godbee wrote:

> outside computer company the department hired to fix/maintain the servers had
> overwritten the first hard drive of the three disk software RAID 5 set with
> another Linux installation.  Just to make sure I couldn't bring the RAID
> array up by marking the first drive as failed, they also fdisk'd the
> remaining two drives.  Oh, did I mention there are no backups?
>
> Here is where I stand now: I managed to recover november's RAID array, and I
> have copied both machines' /vicepa trees to my PowerBook.  At this point,
> we're uninterested in reconstructing their AFS cell.  They're bringing in a

[]

> ** What is the fastest/least-painful way for me to take these two /vicepa
> trees and get meaningful pathnames/filenames attached to the files? **

Set up a fileserver and read the files out:
> - Can I bring up a fresh Linux box, install the OpenAFS server+client, point
> that OpenAFS server at one of the /vicepa trees, and copy out the files with
> their names intact?

Note that you'll want to be very careful to preserve file ownership and
modes, otherwise the salvager may "help" you by deleting your data.