[OpenAFS] Starting OpenAFS on FC2/OpenSSI

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Thu, 30 Jun 2005 15:54:02 -0700

Ron Croonenberg <ronc@depauw.edu> writes:

> when afs tries to start at bootup I see a msg "fly by" that says it
> can't find something.

> I looked in the AFSLog but there's nothing in there.
> (and in messages and boot.log)

AFSLog is dutifully created by afsd on start but is never actually used by
anything.  I have a patch in the bug database to stop creating it.

> Where is the log where msgs from afs at bootup end up in ?

They're echoed to the console, so unless you have something capturing the
console output, they don't go anywhere (at least so far as I know).

> Or can I reproduce the msg by trying to start it manually ?
> (how do I start it manually ?)

The init script should let you stop and start AFS.  Note that you will
need to have no programs running on the system with files open in AFS to
stop AFS, and even then, stopping AFS is a bit of an iffy proposition in
the 1.2.x series in my experience.  (It works great in 1.3.x.)