[OpenAFS] rw replication & multiple cells

Mike Fedyk mfedyk@matchmail.com
Mon, 07 Mar 2005 17:59:55 -0800

Derrick J Brashear wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Mar 2005, Mike Fedyk wrote:
>
>> As mentioned by others, AFS doesn't have RW replication.  You can get
>> active single-master replication (one RW node and one or more RO
>> nodes) with DRBD (or ENBD) and a cluster filesystem like GFS or PVFS.
>>
>> I am not aware of any multiple-master replication projects in the OSS
>> world (using a shared disk doesn't count).
>

> Coda.

I would not put that in production.  The mere fact that the entire file
is locked during transfer to the client is a show stopper, not to
mention that when there are write conflicts to different master RW
servers, the files become inaccessible.

I wish them luck, but I couldn't put it in a production environment
where users didn't have shell access.