Fw: [OpenAFS] Error creating volume

Esther Filderman Esther Filderman <mizmoose@gmail.com>
Wed, 9 Mar 2005 15:38:50 -0500

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 21:08:00 +0100, Danny <dom.toretto@pandora.be> wrote:

>  > And I bet if you do the udebug command on the other server it also
>  > says it's not sync site.
>
>  It's true, is the problem then in the synchronization between the two
> servers?

Yes.  To have quorum, one machine must be "sync site."

>  > Sync host 0.0.0.0?  Ohh, that's special. I've never seen that before.
>
>  What does it mean?

I believe it means that it thinks the sync site should be host
0.0.0.0.  Which of course does not exist.

The question is, why isn't the second machine joining the party?  Does
the udebug output from both machines look identical?  [Well, with the
right IP addresses for servers in appropriate places.]

>  > I think your servers are confused about the network they're on.  I
>  > didn't realize until this that you're running them on a 10. net.
>  > I'm not sure, but I seem to recall there's some special voodoo you
>  > have to do to make an AFS cell work on a 10. net.  I'm sure one of the
>  > others will now pop up and correct me.
>
>  The 10. net is the network at my school, what is so special about a 10.
> net?

I'm not a networking geek, so I suggest you research this on your own
for better info.  But, briefly, a 10. net is usually considered a
private, internal network, usually not routed to the outside world.

>  Please tell me because I'm running out of time and patience :-)
>  Thx for your reaction by the way, it's nice to know there is someone who
> wants to help.

Sorry I can't just pop out an answer.  I'm pretty confused.