[OpenAFS] /etc/passwd mgmt

Dj Merrill deej@thayer.dartmouth.edu
Thu, 10 Mar 2005 01:10:42 -0500

Hi all,
	I've worked with AFS/OpenAFS for about 5 years in total, and
may have the opportunity to setup a fresh OpenAFS installation from
scratch in the near future.  In my previous employment, we had a bunch
of homebrew scripts to manage a text-file database that would generate
appropriate /etc/passwd files for distribution to the various
architectures that we supported.  Rather than have to re-create another
such homebrew package, I was wondering if anyone knows about a decent
open source package for centrally managing a passwd database, and using
some sort of template would create the correct /etc/passwd entries for
various architectures that would then be distributed to the local
client machines.  Other than local root, no actual passwords
will be distributed this way (Kerberos will handle the actual
authentication), but we need the account placeholders for each local
machine.

	I've considered NIS, but don't really care for it, and
LDAP might have some possbibilities, but we don't want to delve into
its depths at this time.  Distributing the /etc/passwd text file
would seem to be the preferred method at present, but I am
open to other suggestions.

	What is everyone using to manage such things?

Thanks,

-Dj