[OpenAFS] /etc/passwd mgmt

Chris Huebsch chris.huebsch@informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Fri, 11 Mar 2005 00:02:54 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005, Dj Merrill wrote:

> Benjamin P Myers wrote:
>> openldap isn't so hard to configure if you're not going to worry about some
>> of the more advanced features like TLS, SASL, etc.

Exactly. I strongly recommend using LDAP to distribute user-info (as a
replacement for /etc/passwd).

As far as I tried it, it integrates well with Linux and Solaris.

Hesiod, NIS, etc. are not that flexible and stable.

>cfengine looks impressive - I'll have to poke at it some more.

cfengine is not the right tool to manage just one file.

It requires a lot of planning an much infrastructure.

(Although using AFS for distributing the repositories simplifies a lot.)

Chris
--
Chris Huebsch    www.huebsch-gemacht.de | TU Chemmnitz, Informatik, RNVS
GPG-Encrypted mail welcome! ID:7F2B4DBA |   Str. d. Nationen 62, B204