[OpenAFS] Donate to The OpenAFS Project

Esther Filderman Esther Filderman <mizmoose@gmail.com>
Sat, 12 Mar 2005 13:53:53 -0500

To be totally honest, I dropped the ball here.  I'm very sorry.   On
the other hand, I should have seen the answer to this when you first
asked it.

Usenix is, very graciously, simply collecting the money for OpenAFS
because they are a 501c3 and OpenAFS is not, at this time.

Usenix will take the money and hand it over to wherever the OpenAFS
Elders request.  Because of the 501c3 status, Usenix is required to
hand it over to another non-profit or a University.   They in turn
will pay for programmers to do needed work.

So, telling Usenix where you want the money spent is kind of
pointless, because they don't get any say in that themselves.

I believe the appropriate thing to do is to let the Elders know you
are making a donation for how much, and what you would like to see it
spent on.

I must say that I don't think there is anything legally binding them
to follow your request.  Morally, I would say they should, and I would
be highly surprised if they didn't follow the request. However I am
also not a lawyer, nor do I play on on your Tivo.

FWIW, I'd love to see a FreeBSD port, too, as it would likely work on
NetBSD, my *BSD of choice :-).

Thank you for kicking my behind on this, and take care,

e.

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 03:34:39 -0500, Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu> wrote:
> Hi Esther...
>
> I was wondering if you found out to what extent we could earmark
> some donations sent in via the Usenix page for OpenAFS.  I am not
> expecting some absurdly-strict earmarking, where every penny must
> accounted for and go exactly where I want it to go.  But I *would*
> like some feeling that my contribution is going to encourage work
> on the platforms that I am actually using.
[...]