[OpenAFS] OpenAFS on Gentoo

Steven Jenkins steven.jenkins@ieee.org
Mon, 14 Mar 2005 11:36:27 -0800

Danny wrote:
> As I already explained in earlier posts, I'm having trouble setting up
> an AFS-cell. The cause of this trouble would be an outdated version of
> AFS. I'm working with version 1.2.10 while the latest version would be
> 1.2.13. But as I mentioned in the title, I am working with the Gentoo
> distribution, and Gentoo works with portage. This means that I download
> and install all my programs with one command.
> Now I've searched for the openafs packages, and come to the conclusion
> that the latest package of openafs is the 1.2.11 version.
> Can someone tell me what I should do to get the latest version with
> Gentoo, or is this impossible?

Danny,

As someone mentioned earlier, support for OpenAFS in Gentoo is
essentially useless.

The good news is that the ebuild file for version in Portage will
probably work unmodified if you just copy it and change its name. But
don't do that in /usr/portage.  Create /usr/local/portage (or wherever
your make.conf says your PORTDIR_OVERLAY is. Create net-fs/openafs and
copy everything from /usr/portage/net-fs/openafs there. Then you should
be able to copy openafs-1.2.10-r1.ebuild to openafs-1.2.13.ebuild and
type 'ebuild openafs-1.2.13.ebuild digest' and 'emerge openafs'. Note
that this overlay will supersede Gentoo's release of 1.2.13, should it
ever occur. If it does, you can just delete (or rename) your 1.2.13 ebuild.

Let me know if it works.

Steve