[OpenAFS] AFS file locking doesn't work anymore with ms office xp

Volker Lendecke Volker.Lendecke@SerNet.DE
Wed, 16 Mar 2005 16:17:08 +0100

On Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 03:02:36PM +0000, Chris Crowther wrote:
>    Would translating those into whole-file locks instead be a workable
> solution?

For Samba as an AFS front end I've got a patch that takes another route: Once a
file is opened in any way (read or write), I flock the complete file. The
second opener gets the error message NT_STATUS_SHARING_VIOLATION. This is the
error code designed for the windows share modes (whole-file locks). I don't
think that it would be wise to map the windows-style byte range locks into
anything that the server sees, as this would very likely kill performance
completely. Unlike Unix apps Windows Apps do a hell lot of locking, and doing
that over the net would incur really big latency issues.

Volker