[OpenAFS] Unable to read inode table, vicepa not salvaged

Ryan Underwood nemesis-lists@icequake.net
Wed, 16 Mar 2005 10:43:54 -0600

Hi,

After the Linux kernel stupidly killed the fileserver process in a OOM
condition, I can't start the fileserver anymore:

OpenAFS 1.3.74 built  2004-11-29
03/16/2005 03:01:33 STARTING AFS SALVAGER 2.4
(/usr/lib/openafs/salvager)
03/16/2005 03:01:33 Starting salvage of file system partition /vicepa
03/16/2005 03:01:33 SALVAGING FILE SYSTEM PARTITION /vicepa
(device=vicepa)
Unable to read inode table; vicepa not salvaged

All of the volumes are marked as needing salvage because the fileserver
was killed, so I'm not sure what to do next.  There doesn't seem to be
anything obviously wrong with /vicepa.

Aside from the immediate problem, is there any good way to prevent this
from happening again?  All I can find is a vm_overcommit sysctl
variable.

--
Ryan Underwood, <nemesis@icequake.net>