[OpenAFS] AFS in a solaris 10 zone? How about Linux/Xen VM?

Ben Staffin staffin@uiuc.edu
Mon, 21 Mar 2005 17:51:49 -0600

* Dan Pritts <danno@internet2.edu> [2005-03-21 17:42] wibbled:
> Hi all -
>
> I'm looking at various server virtualization techniques
> and two options that look very interesting are the "zones"
> in solaris 10, and Linux/Xen.
>
> Anyone know if I can get at the AFS filesystem in either
> of these?
>
> I don't really know anything about the solaris zones so i am
> not sure what would be required.
>
>  From what I understand of Linux & Xen i'd think it *ought*
> to work but what i can imagine all sorts of pitfalls...

Near as I can tell, the only way to get AFS in a solaris zone is to run
afsd in the global zone.  This is because zones are not full
virtualization, but merely isolation from other processes and the
fair-share scheduler to allocate resources to the zones.  I have not
tried it, but it seems like it should work.

In theory the AFS servers ought to work in a solaris 10 zone.  I really
hope that part works at least, as I would like to do so myself.  (I have
a 6-cpu E3000 sitting here doing very little, and I'd like to put an AFS
fileserver on it in a zone)

I know absolutely nothing of Xen, so I'll let someone else answer that
one.

- Ben

--
/--