[OpenAFS] Heartbeat + DRBD + OpenAFS, any suggestions?

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Tue, 22 Mar 2005 16:34:13 -0500

On Tuesday, March 22, 2005 04:05:31 PM -0500 Kyle Moffett
<kmoffett@tjhsst.edu> wrote:

> On Mar 22, 2005, at 15:37, Jeffrey Hutzelman wrote:
>> The bosserver will look for a file named SALVAGE.xxx in
>> AFSDIR_LOCAL_DIR,
>> where xxx is the name of the fileserver bnode.  If this file exists,
>> the
>> salvager will be run before the fileserver is started for the first
>> time.
>
> I don't suppose there is a way to force a salvage of _only_ one partition
> before restarting the fileserver, so that the users whose homedirs were on
> /vicepa won't have any loss of service while the server salvages /vicepb?

Well, in theory, you could run the salvager by hand on that partition.  I'd
be a little concerned about something happening that would cause the
fileserver or volserver to start doing things to that partition, like a
fileserver restart or someone trying to create a volume there.

In the course of a conversation last night, I think we came to the
conclusion that it would be fairly easy to add enough locking to make this
safe.

> <Wishful Thinking>
> So, who's up to writing a journaled OpenAFS backend for version 1.6? :-D
> </Wishful Thinking>

A fine idea.  Let us know when you've found a sucker^H^H^H^H^H^Hvolunteer.

-- Jeff