[OpenAFS] Question about append-only directories and ownership of files

Todd M. Lewis Todd_Lewis@unc.edu
Wed, 23 Mar 2005 08:26:54 -0500

Derrick J Brashear wrote:

>> [...] although Todd is right about the behavior, Derrick
>> Brashear acknowledged at last year's Best Practices workshop that the
>> behavior is a bug.  The intent was that the owner of the top directory
>> in a volume have implicit admin rights in the volume, but not that the
>> owner of each directory have such rights in "their" directories.
>>(Derrick: Any guess as to when this will be fixed?  It looks like
>> people are getting used to it, which I would claim is a not-good thing!)
>
> IIRC it's been fixed in 1.3 for months.

Great!  However, people use the list archives as canonical information
(probably because patching docs just isn't as interesting as patching code; go
figure). In
https://lists.openafs.org/pipermail/openafs-info/2001-July/001623.html,
Jeffrey Hutzelman gave a nugget of cleanly distilled information that clearly
deserves to be updated on the list and put into the wiki.  He said:

> FWIW, there are three cases where someone gets implicit 'a' rights:
>
> - the owner of a directory gets implicit 'a' rights on that directory
> - the owner of a volume (same as the owner of its root directory)
>   gets implicit 'a' rights on every directory in that volume.
> - members of system:administrators get implicit 'a' rights on every
>   directory in every volume

In light of the fixes in 1.3, would somebody be willing to amend this
information so that (1) the list has the corrected/updated info somewhere in
its archive and (2) we've got something concise to put into the wiki?  Free
karma boost for any takers... :-)

Q. Where is this enforced? Specifically, what's different about implicit 'a'
rights if somebody is running a 1.2 server with a 1.3 client?  How about a 1.3
server and a 1.2 client?  Mixed servers?  Other relevant factors?
   / Todd_Lewis@unc.edu  919-962-5273  http://www.unc.edu/~utoddl /
  /      If you don't pay your exorcist you get repossessed.     /