[OpenAFS] Openafs kernel module Question

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Thu, 24 Mar 2005 13:51:11 -0500

On Thursday, March 24, 2005 03:55:20 PM +0100 Chris Huebsch
<chris.huebsch@informatik.tu-chemnitz.de> wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Mar 2005, Gessy Caetano da Silva Junior/LCC/UFMG wrote:
>
>> I'm trying install openafs and can i, on server, compile openafs without
>> kernel module?
>
> Yes you can. Openafs-Servers do not require the kernel-module. They do
> not need AFS-client-functionality at all.

Yes, you can compile the user-mode components without building a kernel
module.  Configure with --disable-kernel-module

Whether you can run a fileserver without a kernel module loaded depends on
the platform and on which fileserver variant you are using.  The inode
fileserver requires the kernel module to be loaded, because it makes use of
several special system calls provided by that module.  It does not require
the cache manager to be running (i.e. you don't have to run afsd).  The
namei fileserver does not require the kernel module at all.

   Sr. Research Systems Programmer