[OpenAFS] 1.3.80 server strangeness (kernel 2.6.11-gentoo-r3)

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Fri, 25 Mar 2005 12:48:20 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005, Kevin wrote:

> files during the cp -a), I saw no files in the directory.  When I tried
> rmdir'ing the subdirectory into which I had copied them on this new
> volume, rmdir complained that the directory was not empty (in spite of
> ls -a showing only . and ..).  Then I noticed that the volserver process
> on the new server was not running, so I shutdown all the server
> instances on the new server and restarted them, this time checking for
> volserver which was running.  vos listvol new_server showed what I
> expected.
>
> But then I noticed that vlserver was not running (I had made the new
> server a database server as described in the docs).

Were the instances bos stopped at some point? Did bos status (server)
-long indicate it had ever tried to run them, or why they had stopped?

> Fri Mar 25 12:00:22 2005 VShutdown:  shutting down on-line volumes...
> Fri Mar 25 12:00:22 2005 VShutdown:  complete.
> Fri Mar 25 12:00:22 2005 File server has terminated normally at Fri Mar

This is a clean shutdown. I assume something shut down your file server
deliberately.

> 1) server instances won't stay running (as described above);

That's unclear.

> 2) after kinit'ing as the afs admin, aklog fails with:
> aklog: unable to obtain tokens for cell folkvang.org (status: 11862788).

11862788 (ktc).4 = a pioctl failed
if no client is running, that's expected.

> And because of 2) I've been starting bosserver locally on the new
> server, but when trying to start or restart other server instances on
> the new server, I issue the commands from the sysctl machine with the
> -server argument listing the new server.

you can of course use -localauth on a server machine without needing to
get tokens