[OpenAFS] 1.3.80 server strangeness (kernel 2.6.11-gentoo-r3)

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Fri, 25 Mar 2005 14:13:47 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005, Kevin wrote:

> My question here is, should it not be the case that starting bosserver
> automatically starts up all of the processes listed in BosConfig?  If
> so, why didn't fileserver and volserver start up with bosserver?  Why
> was it necessary for me to issue that second command starting up fs?

because at some point you bos stopped them and it remembers the status it
had before. so until you bos start them, they are shut down forever.

> So then, thinking that perhaps all of the problems were due to the
> 1.3.77 client code, I did what I've been trying to do for a long time
> now which is this (from Quick Beginnings under adding a new server):

That's possible.

> *** glibc detected *** free(): invalid pointer: 0xb7c9c010 ***

So you're hitting a bug which killed the bosserver. I wonder if purify
would help, and who has a license these days.