[OpenAFS] OpenAFS and LVM2

Chris Huebsch chris.huebsch@informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Tue, 1 Nov 2005 18:12:09 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

On Tue, 1 Nov 2005, Mike Bydalek wrote:

> I did some looking around, and the only references I can find regarding LVM
> and OpenAFS are over a year old, hence this e-mail.  Basically, I've setup a
> /vicepa partition using LVM2 and ext2.  Well, we're out of space and I'm
> wondering if anyone knows how well OpenAFS handles LVM?

I do not see any problem with that configuration. LVM is transparent to
the ext2-filesystem above it and AFS doesn't do any nasty things with
the filesystem anymore.

> From what I can see, the thing to do would be to shutdown the bos server,
> extend the partition using lvm and ext2, and then just bring the server back
> up.  Will OpenAFS correctly recognize the volume size changes and not freak
> out in any way?

Yes. Shutdown of all afs-related services is recommended

bos -shutdown -all
umount /vicepa
lvresize /dev/$vg/$lv +$numG
e2fsck -f /dev/$vg/$lv
resize2fs /dev/$vg/$lv
mount /vicepa
bos restart -all (or something like that)

Good Luck. In doubt, make a backup before.

Chris
--
Chris Huebsch    www.huebsch-gemacht.de | TU Chemnitz, Informatik, RNVS
GPG-Encrypted mail welcome! ID:7F2B4DBA |   Str. d. Nationen 62, B204