[OpenAFS] OpenAFS 1.4.0: cache on loopback?

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Sun, 20 Nov 2005 16:43:56 -0800

Todd L Miller <tlmiller@cs.wisc.edu> writes:

> I'm trying to run OpenAFS on an SGI Altix 330 (IA-64, SuSE Enterprise
> 9.3, Linux 2.6.5 plus patches).  The root filesystem is XFS and afsd
> doesn't like trying to run a cache on it.

Right.  You can't put a cache on XFS.

> I'm having some strange problems with memcache*,

I don't particularly recommend memcache.  It seems to have odd issues, and
it isn't that widely used.  It would be nice for someone to take the time
to hammer on it and fix the issues, but until then, it's better to find a
way to use a disk cache.  (On Unix at least; I can't speak to Windows.)

> and resizing XFS is a royal pain, so I was hoping I could run the AFS
> cache out of a loopback-mounted ext2 or ext3 filesystem.  I can't think
> of a reason why this /wouldn't/ work (although it might be slow), but I
> wanted to ask before I tried it, in case something strange were to
> happen.

Yup, should work fine.