[OpenAFS] OpenAFS on shared storage

Justin Lambert openafs-info@openafs.org
Wed, 23 Nov 2005 06:53:36 -0600

--Apple-Mail-46--175605893
	delsp=yes;
	format=flowed

I am looking at needing to setup a large storage array >2TB and
mirror it to a remote location and accessed by 8+ machines.  We are
looking at using a SAN for the storage scalability reasons and am
trying to figure out file systems and replication.  GFS is designed
to be run on shared storage and provides locking mechanisms to
support that (but doesn't appear to support replication).  OpenAFS
supports replicating changes from one place to another (but appears
to be designed for exclusive access filesystems).  Is it possible to
run openafs on a gfs filesystem?  The way it looks to me, if I want
each machine to be able to do it's own thing on the shared storage,
each node would then have to run the server and client.  Is this
correct?  This doesn't really seem like an intended use for either of
these  products - is there a better way?

Thanks for your thoughts,
jl

Note: The information contained in this email is privileged and
confidential information intended for the use of the addressee.  If
the reader of this email is not the intended recipient, or the
employee or agent thereof, you are hereby notified that any
dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is
strictly prohibited.  If you received this email in error, please
immediately notify the sender listed above and destroy this message.

--Apple-Mail-46--175605893

<HTML><BODY style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; -khtml-nbsp-mode: space; =
-khtml-line-break: after-white-space; ">I am looking at needing to setup =
a large storage array &gt;2TB and mirror it to a remote location and =
accessed by 8+ machines.=A0 We are looking at using a SAN for the =
storage scalability reasons and am trying to figure out file systems and =
replication.=A0 GFS is designed to be run on shared storage and provides =
locking=A0mechanisms=A0to support that (but doesn't appear to support =
replication).=A0 OpenAFS supports replicating changes from one place to =
another (but appears to be designed for exclusive access filesystems).=A0 =
Is it possible to run openafs on a gfs filesystem?=A0 The way it looks =
to me, if I want each machine to be able to do it's own thing on the =
shared storage, each node would then have to run the server and client.=A0=
 Is this correct?=A0 This doesn't really seem like an intended use for =
either of these=A0 products - is there a better way?<DIV><BR =
class=3D"khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>Thanks for your =
thoughts,</DIV><DIV>jl<BR><DIV> <SPAN class=3D"Apple-style-span" =
style=3D"border-collapse: separate; border-spacing: 0px 0px; color: =
rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 12px; font-style: =
normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: =
normal; line-height: normal; text-align: auto; =
-khtml-text-decorations-in-effect: none; text-indent: 0px; =
-apple-text-size-adjust: auto; text-transform: none; orphans: 2; =
white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px; "><DIV><BR =
class=3D"khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV><BR =
class=3D"khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV><FONT =
class=3D"Apple-style-span" size=3D"2"><SPAN class=3D"Apple-style-span" =
style=3D"font-size: 10px;"><SPAN class=3D"Apple-style-span" =
style=3D"font-size: 10px; ">Note: The information contained in this =
email is privileged and confidential information intended for the use of =
the addressee. =A0If the reader of this email is not the intended =
recipient, or the employee or agent thereof, you are hereby notified =
that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication =
is strictly prohibited. =A0If you received this email in error, please =
immediately notify the sender listed above and destroy this =
message.</SPAN></SPAN></FONT></DIV><BR =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"></SPAN> =
</DIV><BR></DIV></BODY></HTML>=

--Apple-Mail-46--175605893--