[OpenAFS] Re: afs vs nfs

Sandesh V Chopdekar sandesh_vc@in.ibm.com
Wed, 23 Nov 2005 20:51:08 +0530

--=_alternative 005496BB652570C2_=

> This can also be considered a disadvantage.  When using AFS, you are
> forced to manage your storage the AFS way.  Files are effectively not
> stored natively on the filesystem, and cannot be accessed via some other
> method, and must be backed up via afs-specific methods.
Namei does stores files natively on the local filesystem, and those files
can be accessed from userland. Its still complex, but nevertheless.

> It works pretty well, but as an NFSv4 presenter put it, NFS is a network
> filesystem - with AFS you have to swallow the whale of all the other AFS
> stuff.
If you need only share files, use NFS.

NFSv4 is trying to incorporate AFS like features, and in that process
 NFS is becoming complex too. So if one wants those features, there
 would be additional configuration.

Most of  the new features that NFSv4  boasts are not implemented fully
 on any major OS. They are still very much in specs only.  Most of
 the OS have those features in a nascent stage - read unsuitable for
 production, and might not run well with  your current configuration.

So if one needs features like replication, global namespace etc,
use AFS, NFS is still years behind AFS in  enterprise features
(despite the tremendous amount of investment being done in NFS,
 seems some of this money goes in spreading FUD about AFS too )

 -
 Sandesh

 Opinions expressed in this mail are my own, and not of my employer.

Dan Pritts <danno@internet2.edu>
Sent by: openafs-info-admin@openafs.org
23/11/2005 20:05

Joe Buehler <jbuehler@spirentcom.com>
cc
openafs-info@openafs.org
Subject
Re: [OpenAFS] Re: afs vs nfs

On Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 08:38:31AM -0500, Joe Buehler wrote:
> - AFS storage is organized into volumes, attached to one or more mount
> points under the /afs tree.   These volumes can be moved from server
> to server while they are in use.  This is great when you have to
> take down a machine, or you run out of space on it.  The users never
> notice.

This can also be considered a disadvantage.  When using AFS, you are
forced to manage your storage the AFS way.  Files are effectively not
stored natively on the filesystem, and cannot be accessed via some other
method, and must be backed up via afs-specific methods.

It works pretty well, but as an NFSv4 presenter put it, NFS is a network
filesystem - with AFS you have to swallow the whale of all the other AFS
stuff.

danno
--
dan pritts - systems administrator - internet2
734/352-4953 office        734/834-7224 mobile

--=_alternative 005496BB652570C2_=

using AFS, you are<br>
&gt; forced to manage your storage the AFS way. &nbsp;Files are effectively
not<br>
&gt; stored natively on the filesystem, and cannot be accessed via some
other<br>
&gt; method, and must be backed up via afs-specific methods.</tt></font>
and those files </tt></font>
but nevertheless.</tt></font>
put it, NFS is a network<br>
&gt; filesystem - with AFS you have to swallow the whale of all the other
AFS<br>
&gt; stuff.</tt></font>
NFSv4 is trying to incorporate AFS like features, and in that process </tt></font>
those features, there</tt></font>
are not implemented fully</tt></font>
specs only. &nbsp;Most of </tt></font>
- read unsuitable for </tt></font>
current configuration. </tt></font>
namespace etc,</tt></font>
features</tt></font>
done in NFS,</tt></font>
about AFS too )</tt></font>
 Sandesh </font>
are my own, and not of my employer.</font>
nfs</font></table>
wrote:<br>
&gt; - AFS storage is organized into volumes, attached to one or more mount<br>
&gt; points under the /afs tree. &nbsp; These volumes can be moved from
server<br>
&gt; to server while they are in use. &nbsp;This is great when you have
to<br>
&gt; take down a machine, or you run out of space on it. &nbsp;The users
never<br>
&gt; notice.<br>
This can also be considered a disadvantage. &nbsp;When using AFS, you are<br>
forced to manage your storage the AFS way. &nbsp;Files are effectively
not<br>
stored natively on the filesystem, and cannot be accessed via some other<br>
method, and must be backed up via afs-specific methods.<br>
It works pretty well, but as an NFSv4 presenter put it, NFS is a network<br>
filesystem - with AFS you have to swallow the whale of all the other AFS<br>
stuff.<br>
danno<br>
--<br>
dan pritts - systems administrator - internet2<br>
734/352-4953 office &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;734/834-7224 mobile<br>