[OpenAFS] Re: afs vs nfs

lamont@scriptkiddie.org lamont@scriptkiddie.org
Wed, 23 Nov 2005 17:04:35 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005, Horst Birthelmer wrote:
> On Nov 22, 2005, at 8:52 PM, lamont@scriptkiddie.org wrote:
>> On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 lamont@scriptkiddie.org wrote:
>>> I don't know why the AFS community continues to support this convention
>>> which breaks location independence.  *shrug*.
>>
>> Okay, "support" was a bad choice of words, why its supported should be
>> pretty obvious.  It'd still be nice to see some alternatives more widely
>> discussed.
>
> How about some suggestions or even better, code?

No code necessary, just don't use it.

http://www-conf.slac.stanford.edu/AFSBestPractices/Slides/MorganStanley.pdf

Relevant stuff starts on page 9.

> Maybe I'm too used to the concept, the way it is now, but I don't have any
> problems with that.
> I never had.
>
> Sorry, but I don't see your point. What exactly is breaking location
> independence?

Consider if you have:

/afs/newyork.cell/home/horst

And then you get sent to the bangalore office for an extended period of
time and now your home cell is /afs/bangalore.cell.  There are ways to
deal with this, but if you go down this path long enough to its logical
end you wind up not liking the /afs/<cell> convention very much...