[OpenAFS] Re: afs vs nfs

lamont@scriptkiddie.org lamont@scriptkiddie.org
Thu, 24 Nov 2005 00:31:18 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005, Chaskiel M Grundman wrote:
> You can't do it between non-cooperating cells because the resulting namespace
> would end up not being consistent from client to client. So much for a global
> filesystem.

Yes, I'm talking about not only cooperating cells, but where there's a
single architectural department which designs all of them.  Then you
really can get a global and fully location independent filesystem (within
the larger organization -- i.e. an entity like Morgan Stanley).

Obviously for the public afs space where cells map to organizations, the
/afs/<cell> convention works much better.