[OpenAFS] openafs 1.4.0 win client and sysprep

Christopher D. Clausen cclausen@acm.org
Wed, 30 Nov 2005 10:29:51 -0600

David Sonenberg wrote:
> I have noticed that after running sysprep openafs needs to be
> reinstalled.  After booting a system that has been sysprep'd I get the
> following error.
>
> afsd_service.exe
>
> "The instruction at "0x00429af4" referenced memory at "0x00000000"
> The memory could not be read"
>
> It looks like the afs service just dies.  Is this a bug or is the
> something that needs to be done before running sysprep?

I always disable the AFS service before running sysprep and just
re-enable it once I have a machine up with its networking correctly
configured.  One problem is that the loopback adapter gets uninstalled
by sysprep and AFS crashes when it can't bind to a new adapter when the
machine first comes up.  Freelance mode might solve this problem.
Someone posted a link for a solution to have the loopback adapter
installed during sysprep, but I was unable to get it to work correctly
(one of the physical network adapters would get the 10.254.254.253
address and cause all sorts of problems.)

The other issue is that you need to make sure that you delete the
AFSCache file, as there is some unique id stored in there and the AFS
servers get really confused if multiple machines have this same id.

<<CDC
--
Christopher D. Clausen
ACM@UIUC SysAdmin