[OpenAFS] Changing reserved block on ext3 with fs running

Frank Burkhardt fbo2@gmx.net
Wed, 5 Oct 2005 13:35:35 +0200

Hi,

On Wed, Oct 05, 2005 at 01:20:32PM +0200, Stephan Wonczak wrote:

[snip]

> We can't do much about the number of inodes, but we are still
> sitting with the 5% reserved blocks. Over all partitions this adds to a
> lot of wasted space (~500GB).
>   Now, obviously we would rather use this space :-)

[snip]

>   Now the question: Are there any repercussions when changing the number
> of reserved blocks in this way, or are there any subtle side effects on
> the fileserver?

AFAIK there should be no problem using 'tune2fs -r' or 'tune2fs -m' on
a mounted filesystem (I just tried it).

But you most probably needn't do that. The reserved blocks are only
accessible to a given user (see 'tune2fs -l /dev/ice | grep uid') when the
limit is reached. But this given user is root by default and AFS-Fileservers
are running as root. Reserved blocks simply don't matter in this case.

Regards,

Frank