[OpenAFS] quick newbie AFS question

Andrew Bacchi bacchi@rpi.edu
26 Oct 2005 11:54:11 -0400

On Wed, 2005-10-26 at 11:12, J S wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have set up a read-write AFS volume on box A, and mounted this to a
> directory called /afs/logs/auth which is being used by processes on boxes A
> and B.
>
> My question is, if box A goes down, will the process on box B still be able
> to log to /afs/logs/auth?
No.  If the fileserver (box A) goes down, none of the files/volumes
there are available.
> Also, do I have to set up a read-only volume for this?
Yes, but the RO volume will need to be on a second fileserver (box C) in
order to be available if box A goes down.  If you create a RO volume on
the same machine, that will help if you loose the partition that holds
the RW volume, but won't help if the whole thing crashes.